Grounds For Termination?

It just doesn't seem like a very good idea. Yet, several times this year I have been an unavoidable passive participant in an employee's annual performance review at, yes, your friendly neighborhood Starbucks. Given the company's welcome propensity for engaging in multiple lines of business these days, "America's third place" may want to create a more formal line of Human Resources services.

"This isn't coming from me, but some people don't think you're a team player," said one young technology guy across the table from his bemused employee. I really don't want to hear these highly personal conversations, as I am right now two tables away, but how can this be avoided when they are broadcast throughout the store as if on XM Radio's Starbucks' Channel? "John took a bullet for the team," said another guy who was likely never in a position to take a bullet in reality. "I don't understand these stupid forms," said another boss as he attempted to fill out a performance review that he was reading for the first time.

Given the inappropriateness of conducting such personal affairs in public, it's no surprise that the quality of language and content is so equally appalling. I have never in my professional life heard so many empty cliches, meaningless sports and war metaphors, and thoroughly inaccessible acronyms and initializations. My only hope is that the bosses civilized enough to hold such meetings privately are doing so in truly informative, insightful, firm and mutually respectful ways.