It Really Happened: Shali and Monica

I had just returned to my hotel room in Sydney after working a long day at the annual Australian-U.S. Summit. Well, technically, I was returning from drinks with my colleagues in the InterContintental Hotel lobby bar. We were at the AUSMIN to support Secretary of Defense Bill Perry who was in town with Secretary of State Warren Christopher to review the healthy state of U.S.-Australian relations with their counterparts.

The blinking message light got my attention, turning out to be word from friends here that I had just been promoted to Commander. Well, I rushed out of my room toward the elevator, knowing that my colleagues were still in the bar downstairs. Comically, the first person I told of my promotion was Chairman of the Joints of Staff General John Shalikashvilli, who was waiting alone for an elevator on our secure floor. I said, "Hey, General, I just made Commander!" He looked at this minion (me) with a warm smile, squinted and said in his Polish accent, "Goot." I rejoined the small party of my fellow junior staffers in the bar, one of whom was Monica Lewinsky. You really can't make this stuff up!