It Really Happened: Ninoy Aquino

The Benazir Bhutto assassination attempt reminds me of the tragic killing of Ninoy Aquino in 1983. I was just getting involved with the World Affairs Council of Boston, which I was later privileged to lead, and was invited to a small farewell dinner for Ninoy and Cory Aquino.

Ninoy was embarking on a courageous return to Manila to oppose the brutal regime of Philippine President and American puppet Ferdinand Marcos. My mother and I sat with the Aquinos and found Ninoy to be a warm and wonderful person, both brilliant and humble. We all hugged the Aquinos and wished them well upon their departure that night, only to watch with horror a week or two later his airport assassination at the hands of one (or more) Marcos' thugs. I remember reaching out to my mother and sharing a good cry with her over the telephone. For me, the Aquino affair provided an early understanding of the power-at-all-cost politics that seems to exist at the very core of human nature.


Tagaytay, Philippines