Now That's A Leader: General Wes Clark

Santa Monica

Wes Clark is a good man. He was my choice for President last time, at least as far as he went, and he would be again. It seems that he is positioning himself - and being positioned by others - as Hillary Clinton's running mate. His Arkansas ties with the Clintons run very deep.

General Clark is in town for a series of fundraisers, speeches, and media appearances. As I review the Los Angeles Times reviews of his performance out here, while momentarily enjoying the surf here at the Bel Air Bay Club, I fondly remember an encounter with General Clark early last year.

I mentioned to General Clark that I had twice briefly served as a reservist in his NATO command in Belgium. He smiled, looked me in the eye as if nobody else was there, and wanted to know with great interest where, when, with whom, and what I thought of the experience. Then, as he moved on, he said, "Thank you." No sir, thank you for being a thoughtful, insightful gentleman warrior with an understanding of the few benefits and many costs of warfare that has been utterly lacking in the White House and Congress over recent years.

General Clark's new book is entitled, A Time To Lead. It sure is, General. Know any good leaders?