Shutter to Think #12: Paul Caponigro


Tampa 

How did I not know about Paul Caponigro’s work? My bad! It took a visit to the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts here to discover this globally recognized, master talent. And he was born in Boston and taught photography at Boston University 20 years before I studied it there.

Among the many interesting things about this celebrated landscape photographer is that he is a dedicated pianist. Learning this brought his images to life for me. I could almost hear a George Winston-like melodic structure to pieces such as “Morning Mist, Redding Woods, Connecticut” (1969) or “Crypt, Montmajour Abbey, France” (1987) - and this includes the sound of silence, too.

I learned about Caponigro’s pianism while I was enjoying his works here. Only afterwards, however, did I come across this quote from the Photography West Gallery’s website. Caponigro believes his musical training and insight contribute significantly to his photographic imagery. In his photographs the visual ‘silence’ becomes as tangible as ‘sound’.” Yes!

I love that so many of his images are in New England, whether it’s “Eleanor’s Hands” (1965) shot in Winthrop  MA or Maine’s “Acadia Coast” (1958).

Digital photography is wondrous. I know, but there is something sublime about Black & White silver gelatin prints.

Three of the images referenced here are included in this post, courtesy of Paul Caponigro.